Saturday, 24 March 2012

Graphic Design & Censorship and Truth

This is a subject I found quite interesting and even did some extra research for after the lecture. [see blog post]. It kind of relates to what I did my essay about - body image - as the use of photo manipulation is not only altering the image but allowing the way people feel about themselves and their bodies to be altered as they compare themselves.


I have found some examples of famous photographic manipulations examples used in advertising:


How much truth are we allowed to see with photographic manipulation?



The touched-up film poster

Keira Knightley is famously proud of her elfin figure. But it seems she was simply not up to scratch when it came to the poster for the movie King Arthur, and it was up to a Photoshop artist to invent what nature had only suggested, as these before and after shots demonstrate.


Emma watson has a missing leg in this burberry campaign! I found lots of examples of photoshop manipulations gone wrong following this.


In Ralph Laurens adverts the models were made digitally thinner, to the point where they are unrealistic and look ridiculous.

//

I have also considered the issue of censorship and graphic design, finding these examples that have been banned by the advertising standards agency. It was interesting to talk to my friends about what is acceptable and what is not as we all had different opinions on what we as the viewer find offence. This is an issue I am quite interested in and can maybe lead into some ideas for my dissertation. 

- Censorship - what does society define as being right or wrong? What will we accept when we see it?


 

These are very recent examples that were banned, as Ryanair were advertising the cabin crew in a pin up style, which left some feeling as if they were being sexually objectified.



This advert was banned as it features the teenage Dakota Fanning posed provocatively with a flower bottle placed in between her legs, symbolising sexuality. 

D&G 2

 


This strange series of advertisements for D&G left many feeling offended as they depicted glamorous scenes of gang rape, for men and women.


H&M was criticised for using too skinny models.



This disrespectful ad had to be removed.



The question is should we be protected from images?

No comments:

Post a Comment