Design activism has emerged in recent years as a term to denote creative practices that invoke social, political and environmental agency. Typically, it distances itself from commercial or mainstream public policy-driven approaches. Instead, it embraces marginal, non-profit or politically engaged design theories, articulations and actions.
An example of design activism that I found particularly interesting was culture jamming, a form of subvertising, where spoof ads, or changes to an existing advert are made to give it new meaning.
Here some examples I have found of these spoof ads and altered ads. Some are quite clever as its not initially obvious they have been changed. These adverts are going against what is seen as being cool, or seen as acceptable in this capitalist society, to spread a new message.
Design activism relates to what I have learnt about globalisation, as you will see that most of the spoof ads are for Western brands that are trying to take over the world, such as McDonalds, Coke and Pepsi. What is capitalism? It is the stage of history that we live in now (in the west). The ability to make profit is held by a few individuals, and everybody works to earn these people money. Everything is bought and sold, as we revolve around the logic of the market through the exchange of money.
An example of design activism that I found particularly interesting was culture jamming, a form of subvertising, where spoof ads, or changes to an existing advert are made to give it new meaning.
According to AdBusters, a Canadian magazine and a proponent of counter-culture and subvertising, "A well produced 'subvert' mimics the look and feel of the targeted ad, promoting the classic 'double-take' as viewers suddenly realize they have been duped. Subverts create cognitive dissonance. It cuts through the hype and glitz of our mediated reality and, momentarily, reveals a deeper truth within."
Here some examples I have found of these spoof ads and altered ads. Some are quite clever as its not initially obvious they have been changed. These adverts are going against what is seen as being cool, or seen as acceptable in this capitalist society, to spread a new message.
Design activism relates to what I have learnt about globalisation, as you will see that most of the spoof ads are for Western brands that are trying to take over the world, such as McDonalds, Coke and Pepsi. What is capitalism? It is the stage of history that we live in now (in the west). The ability to make profit is held by a few individuals, and everybody works to earn these people money. Everything is bought and sold, as we revolve around the logic of the market through the exchange of money.

From I'm loving it to I'm sick of it...
Sources: http://www.adbusters.org/ adrants wikipedia businesspundit desizntech & google image search












No comments:
Post a Comment